What you need to study to be a pilot

Who has wanted to be an airplane pilot? Who else has at least dreamed of flying by their own means, but to fulfill that dream requires perseverance, training and many other things.

In the field of aviation, you can take different training options and the possibilities are quite broad, depending on the type of license you want to obtain. You cannot access the licensing exams for free, but it must be an academy or a flight training college that presents the program after having formed it.

PPL License (Private Airplane Pilot): This license authorizes you to carry out sport, leisure or co-pilot flights of a flight that does not have commercial purposes. This training usually lasts from 6 to 9 months, and consists of about 100 teaching hours and 45 flight hours, which are the minimum to be able to take the exam. In these courses a total of 9 subjects are studied that include knowledge about aircraft, meteorology or air legislation among other things.

For a CPL License (Commercial Pilot),  it is essential to have a PPL license and 150 flight hours. It can be done in an integrated or modular way, this second modality being the one usually recommended by trained pilots. This license enables you to be a co-pilot in commercial air transport, a pilot of any non-commercial aircraft and pilot of single-engine aircraft. It consists of 15 flight hours.

ATPL License (Airline Transport Pilot): These are usually two-year courses that include 200 flight hours. This license allows you to work as a co-pilot on an airline, and when you have exceeded 1,500 flight hours, you can already practice as a pilot.

Apart from carrying out the courses that we have named above in private academies, there is also the university pathway.

University degree in Commercial Aviation Pilot and Air Operations: This is a 4-year career and 240 ECTS credits. In this degree you learn physics, mathematics and aeronautics, as well as training with flight simulators and real flight practices. With this qualification you can work as a commercial pilot, air operations director or flight engineer. If after a few oppositions are overcome, you can work as an air traffic controller or engineer in the AESA.