A Layover in the US When Not A Citizen Means You Need A US Transit Visa

A transit visa is one that is valid for only a very short period. Depending on your nationality as well as country destination, you might need to have a transit visa to make connections in a foreign airport or cross through a foreign country.


Confused, don’t be – you might be travelling to your destination but have several layovers on the way. One of those layovers might be within the US and if you have a layover in the US you will need to transit through the United States. To do this, you will need to have a transit visa US.

Travel to Canada

A visa is not needed for travel to Canada and is not necessary to transit through Canada, but the traveller must have a passport binding for six months beyond travel dates, a trip that is an onward or round-trip ticket and a valid visa for the next destination is required.

Not US citizen

If you aren’t a citizen of the US and if you are on the way to another destinationor transiting to another foreign country, a C-1 transit visa is the fitting non-immigrant visa. If you are traveling together with your family, every individual no matter the age, even children and babies listed in their parents’ passports, have to apply for a separate C-1 Visa.

Transit visa

US transit visas begin with the letter C and allows you to pass through the United States and stay only for your layover. When your planned flight or ship leaves for your next destination, you must leave the United States.

C visas

The US government explains that the C visas are for continuous and immediate transit through the United States. Continuous and immediate transit means that the route to your destination contains a layover in the US and you will have to stop there having no other privileges.

Other activities

Having a C visa, you are not permitted to stay more than your approved time, and this is not a visa for business or tourism. If you need to engage in business activities or want to site-see, you will need to get the B-1 or B-2 visas and for everyone listed on your passport.